There are so many dog parks popping up, how do you pick the right one?
- Pass or open to all? It’s not a fool-proof system, but parks that need a pass require proof of vaccinations, meaning your dog is less likely to pick up something yucky from his friends.
- Big dog/Small dog zones. Can your yorkie play with pups her own size or is everyone sharing the same space?
- Cleanliness. Are there garbage cans and are they emptied frequently or are they brimming with poop bags? Does the park provide bags? People are less likely to pick up after their dogs if not.
- Security. Is the fence in good shape? Is there a double gate so no one escapes when someone arrives or departs?
- Other people. Swing by the park without your dog and scope out the people. Are they on their phones or chatting with each other? On the other end of the spectrum, is everyone crowding the dogs while they play? There is a middle ground between ignoring and hovering!
How did you choose a park to play at? What helped you make up your mind?